Giving new employees a great onboarding experience is essential to their engagement and retention.
Yet, shockingly, around 60% of businesses skip setting any goals or milestones for their new hires. And only 12% of employees feel that their employer has a good onboarding program.
That’s why it’s important for you to have a killer onboarding plan and we’re here to help.
Here’s your new onboarding checklist:
Before your new hire starts
• Talk to the new employee’s future manager to understand their aims and objectives for the first few weeks
• Get all the essential documents ready, including induction checklists, new starter forms and an employee handbook
• Make sure they have a clean, tidy workstation with all the equipment they’ll need
• Create accounts for them to access email, software and any websites essential for their role
• Send them any information you’d like them to read before they start, giving them enough time to digest it
• Introduce your newbie to the rest of the team and show them around the office. A warm welcome goes a long way
• Verify their ID and right to work in the UK and go over their P45, if applicable
• Provide them with all the materials they need to get the hang of their new role
• Walk them through key health and safety points, like the location of fire exits and the first aid kit
• Explain precisely what they’ll be doing and how their role contributes to the bigger picture
• Assign them a challenging-yet-doable project that showcases their skills without overwhelming them
• Make sure they’ve read and filled out all relevant documents, such as employment contracts and induction checklists
• Set clear goals and milestones for their probation period and schedule regular probation review meetings
• Share your company’s long-term goals and how you envision them contributing to the journey
• Check in with them to ensure they’re happy in their role and crystal clear about your expectations
• Help them build relationships with colleagues who they’ll be working closely with
With this onboarding checklist in hand, you’re all set. But as always, if you need a hand, get in touch.
Leeds based HR180 is a team of superheroes in HR Outsourcing, Projects and Consultancy committed to work in partnership with organisations of all sizes to establish working policies to go above and beyond Employment Law requirements, to protect both employees and employers alike. We love to hear from you, so call us on 0113 287 8150 or hit the Rescue Me button.